Tuesday, May 30, 2017

People First Language, The Power of Words

Hello everyone,

I hope you had a fantastic Memorial Day weekend.  I was busy doing things with my family and around my house and yard.  I want to apologize that this post is later than usual, by a few hours anyway.  I have had a busy couple of weeks and have been struggling to fit it all in.  

I have recently started taking classes at Bowling Green State University.  BGSU offers an online Masters Degree program in Assistive Technology and I am in my 3rd week of classes.  So far I have learned some interesting tidbits that will help me with my day to day job and my blog posts.  


During the first week of class we read an article and watched a video that really hit home for me.  The article, "People First Language" by Kathie Snow contains some wonderful information about disabilities and the handicapped.  The video, "The Power of Words" by Judy Endow can be found on YouTube.  It is a 12 minute video, but worth every second.  It also contains some very eye opening information.  


I hope you take the time to read the article and watch the video.  It gave me a new perspective on some of my words and actions and I hope it will do the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment